Shesher Kabita (The Last Poem)-A deathbed written Novel by Tagore



The Novel was a love story in between Amit Ray & Labannya .
        Amit Ray, a barrister educated at Oxford, whose virulent intellectualism reveals itself in its opposition to all forms of tradition. He meets Labanya in a car accident and the romance builds up in the misty hills of Shillong. Amit's iconoclastism meets Labanya's sincere simplicity through a series of dialogues and poems that they write for each other.
After building up their affair and obtaining the blessings of Labanya's employer Jogomaya (Labanya served as Jogomaya's daughter's governess),The lovers decide to marry other suitors, without the air of tragedy. It appears to be that they feel that daily chores of living together will kill the purity of their romance. Amit marries Ketaki, his girlfriend from Oxford and Labanya marries Sovonlal, her friend from university days. But Amit resolves this enigma of ungratified marriage in his own style - "Most barbarians equate marriage with the union, and look upon the real union thereafter with contempt.... Ketaki and I - our love is like water in my kalsi (jug); I fill it each morning, and use it all day long. But Labanya's love is like a vast lake, not to be brought home, but into which my mind can immerse itself". Labanya releases Amit's own submerged depth of sincerity, which he finds hard to adjust to. The struggle makes him a curiously pathetic figure. The tragedy is understood by the girl who releases him from his troth and disappears from his life.

             It has been translated into English as ‘The Last Poem’ (translator Anandita Mukhopadhyay) and ‘Farewell song’ (translator Radha Chakravarty).

 Here is a quotation of the end poem from  ‘The farewell’ :-


Here is a quotation of the end poem from  ‘The farewell’ :-

Can you hear the sounds of the journey of time? 
Its chariot always in a flight 

Raises heartbeats in the skies 
And birth-pangs of stars 

In the darkness of space 
Crushed by its wheels. 

My friend! 
I have been caught in the net 

Cast by that flying time 
It has made me its mate 

In its intrepid journey 
And taken me in its speeding chariot 

Far away from you. 
To reach the summit of this morning 

I seem to have left behind many deaths 
My past names seem to stream 

In the strong wind 
Born of the chariot's speed. 

There is no way to turn back; 
If you see me from afar 

You will not recognize me my friend, 
Farewell! 


If in your lazy hours without any work 
The winds of springtime 

Brings back the sighs from the past 
As the cries of shedding spring flowers 

Fill the skies 
Please see and search 

If in a corner of your heart 
You can find any remnants of my past; 

In the evening hours of fading memories 
It may shed some light 

Or take some nameless form 
As if in a dream. 

Yet it is not a dream 
It is my truth of truths 

It is deathless 
It is my love. 

Changeless and eternal 
I leave it as my offering to you 

In the ever changing flow of time 
Let me drift. 

My friend, farewell! 


You have not sustained any loss. 
If you have created an immortal image 

Out of my mortal frame 
May you devote your self 

In the worship of that idol 
As the recreation of your remaining days 

Let your offerings not be mired 
By the touch of my earthly passion. 

The plate that you will arrange with utmost care 
For the feast of your mind 

I will not mix it with anything 
That does not endure 

And is wet with my tears. 
Now you will perhaps create 

Some dreamy creation out of my memories 
Neither shall I feel its weight 

Nor will you feel obliged. 
My friend, farewell! 


Do not mourn for me, 
You have your work, I have my world. 

My vessel has not become empty 
To fill it is my mission. 

I shall be pleased 
If anybody keeps waiting 

Anxiously for me. 
But now I shall offer myself to him 

Who can brighten the darkness with light 
And see me as I am 

Transcending what is good or bad. 
Whatever I gave you 

It is now your absolute possession. 
What I have to give now 

Are the hourly offerings from my heart. 
You are incomparable, you are rich! 

Whatever I gave you 
It was but your gift 

You made me so much indebted 
As much as you took. 

My friend, farewell!
A full radio play of Shesher Kabita is available on YouTube. It was performed at the lawn of Sir. P.C. Mitter's heritage house on Elgin Road on 1 April 2012



Listen it Now from below : -


Download it as MP3 Format :


Download the Bengali version pdf from below :

         Sesher Kobita


We always recommended you to buy original books . Here are some link given to buy it











 Hoped you Liked this article . Thanks for reading ..............................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jatiswar(Most Popular Bengali Art Film) -HDRip Subtitle[Updated]

Download Brand new HD Movie -Kaanchi (2014)

Download 30+ HD Wallpaper